Modern readings of Greek myths in an exhibition at the SNFCC
22 JULY 2022
1. Eleni Papanastasiou, Panos Profitis, Petros Moris, Valinia Svoronou, MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
2. MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
3. Petros Moris, Sphinx V, VI and ΙΧ, part of his Future Bestiary series, MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
4. Theodoros Giannakis, Unfinished Ecologies, a.k.a. Gorgonion Complex Homomorphism,MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
5. Valinia Svoronou, ENDYMION (A Thing of Beauty Is a Joy Forever), MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
7. Panos Profitis, Sibyls and Harpies, MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS, Dome @ snfcc. Photo © SNFCC/Mariza Kapsabeli
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre (SNFCC) welcomes summer by collaborating with ARTWORKS to transform the Dome into a welcoming new terrain—a public meeting place featuring works of contemporary art that propose modern readings of Greek myths in an inventive architectural setting.
The MYTHOLOGIES | NEW TERRAINS exhibition comprises sculptures, installations, and an augmented reality application that explore our complex, age-old relationship with mythology, assessing its current relevance and its potential to push the limits of our imagination. A total of 13 works of contemporary art are juxtaposed with the scale of the Dome in which they are displayed. Mythical figures emerge in a new version of cosmogony, pointing to the sub-terrain, the archaeological past, the technological and digital realms, and science fiction.
Architectural design and construction: SNF ARTWORKS Fellow Eleni Papanastasiou
Featured artists: SNF ARTWORKS Fellows Theodoros Giannakis, Petros Moris, Panos Profitis, and Valinia Svoronou
Learn more about the exhibition
While the exhibition is running, the Dome will host a series of family shows with stories from Greek Mythology.
18 July – 11 September 2022, 10:00-22:00
The exhibition and programming are held with the support of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF).