In the first three months of the program’s implementation, the public’s response has been encouraging. This has led the SNFCC to renew the program to last until September 2014 and to extend it to 13 additional municipalities of Attica, further spreading the message of the SNFCC of open access for all citizens to Art, Education and Environmental culture. Specifically, in the coming months, the “Journey to the SNFCC” will visit the following municipalities: Alimos, Marrousi, Koropi, Mandra-Idilia, Megara, Metamorfossi, Nikaia-Rentis, Piraeus, Penteli, Peristeri, Likovrisi-Pefki, Saronikos and Spata-Artemis.
From November 2013 to February 2014, the “Journey to the SNFCC” visited 5 municipalities (Haidari, Athens, Halandri, Keratsini and Ilioupoli), and held a total of 21 events including “Opera in a Suitcase” performances by the National Opera, readings by 31 popular artists, film workshops, public awareness actions concerning green spaces and debate contests. In this journey, the fellow travelers and faithful companions have been the 2,550 people, aged 4 to 75 years old, who have actively participated in the events, giving life to the program, and providing optimism for the future of the project.
The second phase of the program “Journey to the SNFCC” includes the following events:
• Performances by the Greek National Opera in a “Opera in Suitcase” format, presenting Mozart’s “Don Giovanni”. The performance, under the directorial guidance of Alexandros Efklidis, is hosted in public spaces, inviting the general public to experience the world of opera.
• Film workshops. The duration of the workshop is 20 hours and participation requires preregistration, which takes place in the libraries.
• Guided tours for citizens in the Visitors Center and the SNFCC’s construction site. Participation in the tours requires pre-registration through the municipal libraries.
• Implementation of an educational program entitled “From my municipality to the SNFCC”. In the context of this program, a portable box will travel across all 13 municipalities, inviting children and adults to get to know SNFCC through play, and to get a first glimpse of the services which will be offered in only a few years.
Upcoming events of the “Journey to the SNFCC” program
The program’s latest events begin today, March 6, in the Municipality of Peristeri, where Mozart’s legendary “Don Giovanni” will be presented to the public in the form of a “Opera in a Suitcase”, by the Greek National Opera.
The performance will take place in the Citizens Theatre (Paparigopoulou 94, Peristeri), at 20.00. Admission is free of charge with priority coupons which will be distributed at the entrance of the Citizens Theatre, one hour before the performance starts.
The upcoming schedule of the GNO’s next performances has formed so far as follows:
- March 20: Municipality of Metamorfossi
- March 27: Municipality of Alimos
- April 02: Municipality of Likovrisi-Pefki
- April 09: Municipality of Koropi
- April 30: Municipality of Nikaia-Rentis
The detailed schedule of events will be updated regularly and posted on the SNFCC website via the following link http://www.snfcc.org/community/journey-to-the-snfcc/?lang=el.
The program “Journey to the SNFCC” is implemented with the exclusive support of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF), by the SNFCC in cooperation with the National Opera (www.nationalopera.gr), the National Library of Greece (www.nlg.gr), the Future Library organization (www.futurelibrary.gr) and the environmental organization WWF Greece (www.wwf.gr).