The project began in 1995 with the goal of providing representative samples of the Greek Press, published both within the country and in the Greek communities of the Diaspora. The four volumes span the earliest published material from the Greek Press, from Vienna in the late eighteenth century, through 1974.
On May 7th, 2009, the Institute for Neohellenic Research at the National Hellenic Research Foundation presented the completed Encyclopedia of the Greek Press, 1784-1974 at a public ceremony. Keynote speakers included Prof. Aik. Koumarianou, historian at the University of Sorbonne, Mr. S. Asdrahas, Director Emeritus of the Institute for Neohellenic Research, Prof. E. Nikolakopoulos, University of Athens, and Mr. N. Xidakis, journalist. Prof. P. Kitromilidis, Director of the Institute for Neohellenic Research, was the moderator of the panel discussion. The speakers highlighted the significance of this project for not only researchers but the broader public as well. The Encyclopedia is presented at a critical time for the history of the printed word, as the Internet has gradually begun to replace the printed press.
The Institute for Neohellenic Research was founded in 1960 and is one of the two oldest research centers of the National Hellenic Research Foundation. Its mission is to study Modern Hellenism from the fifteenth century to the present day. In addition to conducting research, the Institute organizes international conferences and symposia, publishes a variety of publications, and maintains a specialized library.