- YEAR OF GRANT
- ORGANIZATION LOCATIONZagora, Magnisia
- GRANT LOCATIONGREECE
- ORGANIZATION WEBSITEwww.infolibraries.gr/zagora/
For upgrading the Library’s historical archives area, including purchasing steel book shelves and boxes of alkaline stock to preserve manuscripts dating from 1850, and installing a fire protection system in the historical archives area and the mechanical engineering/plumbing room.
The Public Library of Zagora was established in 1762 and is one of Greece’s most historic libraries. During the first years of its operation, it functioned as a school library. It was part of the famous educational institution "Ellinomouseio," which graduated many renowned figures of the Greece. The Library´s collection is extremely valuable, and includes 149 manuscript codices and several thousands incunabula. In 1955, the Ministry of Education & Religious Affairs included the Library within the country´s public libraries, and granted it historic status.