General University Hospital of Alexandroupolis

Construction of a hostel

For construction of a hostel with 29 double rooms for relatives of patients.

The hostel, which is accessible by the disabled, is fully furnished and equipped with the latest technology, including entertainment facilities and safety equipment. The hostel and the surrounding area were built in accordance with “green” building guidelines.

The General University Hospital of Alexandroupolis was established in 1939. In 2002 the hospital was relocated to its new premises, six kilometers from the city of Alexandroupolis and convenient to its center. The hospital, which can accommodate 670 patients, consists of 72 departments and laboratories and 52 outpatient clinics. In 2005, 170,000 patients were treated on an outpatient basis and 32,650 patients were admitted.

The hostel in Alexandroupolis is the third one funded by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.  The Foundation also supported the creation of a hostel with 37 double rooms in Ioannina and a hostel with 29 double rooms in Iraklio, Crete Island for relatives of poor patients who are admitted for treatment in local university hospitals.


Courtesy of Thraki Net