EPFL – School of Life Sciences

Program support

For converting a conventional laboratory into a new high biosafety level-3 laboratory for tuberculosis and other infectious disease research. The 140 square meters of space in the laboratory will be subdivided into independent rooms, allowing several teams to work simultaneously on different respiratory diseases. The laboratory complies with all Swiss and European requirements and rules concerning biosecurity for this class of micro-organisms and infectious agents.

Beneficiaries of the new laboratory will include the next generation of researchers, public health specialists in infectious diseases and air-borne pathogens, universities and hospitals, the biomedical and biotechnology industries, and international organizations such as the World Health Organization and the Global Fund for the Fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The laboratory project will allow to increase the capacity to train students and young scientists from developed and developing countries.

Created in 1853, the EPFL “Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne” became a federal institute in 1969 and is part of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology system. One of five schools in the EPFL, the School of Life Sciences was launched in 2002 to pursue the vision that the future of biomedical research will rely on integrating the traditional disciplines of medicine and biology with technology-oriented basic sciences, computer science and engineering. The objective is to train engineers who fully understand basic biological and medical concepts, but who also have the skills necessary to perform quantitative and integrative research and to develop novel technologies. Currently the school has 414 students, 380 post-doctoral and pre-doctoral fellows, and 237 staff members.