- YEAR OF GRANT
- ORGANIZATION LOCATIONThessaloniki
- GRANT LOCATIONGREECE
- ORGANIZATION WEBSITEwww.auth.gr
For the purchase of a fluorimetric detector, which will be incorporated in the main system of Liquid Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry, which was also purchased through a grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. The use of the detector is deemed essential for the rapid detection of hazardous organic compounds in aqueous samples, which are carcinogenic in most cases, even at very low and hardly detectable concentrations.
The equipment is used by the Laboratory’s doctorate and master’s students and will also be demonstrated to undergraduate students for educational purposes.
The Department of Chemistry, established in 1927, consists of ten laboratories. In recent years, the Laboratory has accomplished important community service work, including conducting sample testing for municipalities across Central Macedonia and advising them free of charge on several issues, such as the availability of drinking water.