- 21 JULY 2016 / The Hills on Governor’s Island Ribbon Cutting
The Hills of the newly refurbished Governor’s Island in New York Harbor officially opened to the public after a ribbon cutting ceremony on Tuesday, July 19th, 2016. The Hills is a 10-acre park on the southern end of the island.
- 20 JULY 2016 / The Super Puma helicopter extends its services with the SNF support
The Super Puma helicopter of the Hellenic Fire Department was acquired following an SNF grant in 2005 aiming to contribute to the more efficient firefighting and the more rapidly transfer of the 1st Catastrophe Management Unit (EMAK) to the vulnerable areas.
- 15 JULY 2016 / SNF Supports the Renovation of Patrick Leigh Fermor House in Kardamyli
Τhe SNF’s Board of Directors has approved a grant to the Benaki Museum for the repair and restoration works as well as the cost of the necessary equipment for the Patrick and Joan Leigh Fermor House in Kardamyli. The unique property is expected to operate as a center for educational activities in collaboration with educational institutions in Greece and abroad.
- 14 JULY 2016 / SNFCC Wins ENR 2016 Global Best Projects Award
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center has received an ENR 2016 Global Best Projects Award. The industry magazine Engineering News Record, during the 4th Annual Global Best Projects competition, honored the project teams behind outstanding design and construction efforts of the past year on a global level.
- 13 JULY 2016 / SNF Co-President Andreas Dracopoulos Receives the Rank of the Officer of the Legion of Honor of the Republic of France
On Tuesday, July 12th, Andreas Dracopoulos, Co-President of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, was awarded the rank of Officer of the Legion of Honor of the Republic of France.
- 13 JULY 2016 / G.W. Bowersock comments on The Pergamon and the Hellenistic Kingdoms of the Ancient World at the MET
Distinguished scholar G.W. Bowersock has written an enlightening article about his experience at The Pergamon and the Hellenistic Kingdoms of the Ancient World exhibit, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, for The New York Review of Books.
- 08 JULY 2016 / Inauguration of the renovated operating rooms at the “Andreas Syggros” Hospital of Cutaneous & Veneral Diseases
On Tuesday, July 5th, the inauguration of the renovated operating rooms at the “Andreas Syggros” Hospital of Cutaneous & Veneral Diseases took place.
- 06 JULY 2016 / The New York Times οn the SNF’s support for the NYC Neighborhood Library Awards
On Monday, July 4th, The New York Times published an article praising the rejuvenation of public libraries, specifically in the New York area. The author references the Stavros Niarchos Foundation’s work with the Charles H. Revson Foundation to support and recognize exceptional public libraries in New York City through the NYC Neighborhood Library Awards.
- 30 JUNE 2016 / Inauguration of soup kitchen facilities at the Holy Metropolitan Church of Drama
June 20th marked the inauguration of new soup kitchen facilities at the Holy Metropolitan Church of Drama. These facilities enhance both the capacity and the quality of services available. About 350 portions will be served daily, lead by the work of 300 volunteers.