- 05 OCTOBER 2017 / The National Archaeological Museum extends the “Odysseys” exhibition
Following the success of its first year, the commemorative exhibition “Odysseys”, supported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, continues at the National Archaeological Museum, on the occasion of the Museum’s 150th anniversary. The exhibition, which had been very well received by the public, is extended until Sunday, March 25th, 2018.
- 04 OCTOBER 2017 / Inauguration of the “3rd Frissiras Award for European Painting”, supported by the SNF
On Wednesday October 4th, 2017, the Frissiras Museum inaugurated the exhibition of the “3rd Award for European Painting”, made possible through an exclusive grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.
- 03 OCTOBER 2017 / Seven Outstanding NYC Library Branches Awarded the “Oscars of Libraries”
The winners of the annual “Oscars of Libraries” have been selected! New York City’s most exceptional library branches were awarded top honors and a $20,000 prize at the fourth annual NYC Neighborhood Library Awards, held on Monday October 2nd, at Hearst Tower.
- 03 OCTOBER 2017 / Rockefeller University Scientist Wins 2017 Nobel Prize
On October 2nd, 2017, the Nobel Committee announced Michael W. Young, Professor at Rockefeller University in New York, has won the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. He shares the prize with Jeffrey Hall and Michael Rosbash of Brandeis University.
- 03 OCTOBER 2017 / Vogue on the SNFCC
Hamish Bowles, Vogue’s International Editor at Large, visited Athens recently. His trip to the Greek capital included among others a visit to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center. Mr. Bowles in his article in Vogue exalts the SNFCC’s design and landscape referencing the “heart-stopping views not only of the Aegean waters but a panorama of the city itself.”
- 02 OCTOBER 2017 / SNF Extends Its Condolences For the Passing of S.I. Newhouse
All of us at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation would like to extend our sincere condolences to Victoria Newhouse and her family for the passing of her husband S.I. Newhouse.
- 02 OCTOBER 2017 / October at the SNFCC
- 02 OCTOBER 2017 / Opening of the 14th festival edition “CULTURESCAPES Greece 2017” in Switzerland, with the SNF’s support
On Thursday, October 5th, the CULTURESCAPES inaugurated its 14th edition CULTURESCAPES Greece 2017 festival, in the city of Basel, in Switzerland. CULTURESCAPES, a non-profit foundation, was founded in 2003 with the aim to organize, every two years, a multidisciplinary festival that promotes inter-cultural exchange between Switzerland and other countries in a sustainable way.
- 02 OCTOBER 2017 / Leading Culture Destinations Awards Committee Highlights SNFCC In Naming Athens as Emerging Cultural City of the World
Athens was named as the Emerging Cultural City of the Year for 2017 at the Leading Culture Destinations (LCD) Award, which have come to be known as the Museum Oscars.