- Plants take their revenge on bullies. Girls learn how to skate in the midst of war in Afghanistan. A soccer team travels from a shantytown in South Africa to the World Youth Cup in Sweden.
21 OCTOBER 2020SNF Hellenic Studies Centers in LA and British Columbia Collaborate to Highlight a Fascinating FigureEva Palmer Sikelianos lived such an extraordinary and unusual life in Greece that it’s still a subject of fascination 100 some years later.
- Let’s start with the introductions. Her name is Myrto, she comes from the Northern Aegean, and she’s somewhere between 15 and 20 years old. Myrto is one of the 70 to 80 sea turtles ARCHELON treats and rehabilitates every year.
- From afar, they might look like colorful corals, rocks, or marine plants swaying with the current. But get closer, and you’ll see that they’re not a natural part of the ocean environment, but rather human cast-offs: plastic bags, glass bottles, tangles of wire, and fishing nets.
- They include an ordained Buddhist monk from Washington, an aspiring bioethicist from Japan, and a climate activist from Greece.
16 OCTOBER 2020A History of America’s Contentious Elections from the SNF Agora Institute and the National Constitution CenterIt’s the bitterly contested United States presidential race everyone is talking about. That’s right: 1800, Jefferson versus Adams.
13 OCTOBER 2020SNF Continues its Pandemic Relief Efforts with New Grants Totaling over $10.8 MillionPart of the Foundation’s $100 million global COVID-19 relief initiative, the new grants provide emergency relief to vulnerable populations and support for young people while also helping lay the groundwork for recovery.
- The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) DIALOGUES discussed new geopolitical balances and evolving relations between countries.
13 OCTOBER 2020Student Journalists Focus on Women and Water in the Developing World at CSIS bootcampIn the latest virtual Journalism Bootcamp at Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), University of Iowa students focused on the impact of climate change on development needs in cities.