28 OCTOBER 2020Pollyanna Οffers Snapshot of How Independent Schools are Approaching the 2020 ElectionSeventy-nine percent of heads of independent schools contacted in a recent survey by Pollyanna and the National Association of Independent Schools say they hope to help their students feel safe and comfortable asking questions about the 2020 election.
26 OCTOBER 2020SNF Paideia Program Begins Series on Racism and Anti-racism with Focus on the Economic SystemThe Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) Paideia Program at the University of Pennsylvania is kicking off a series of 13 interdisciplinary discussion on “Racism and Anti-Racism in Contemporary America” with a conversation on “Income and Wealth Disparities.”
- “Lipiu is what I call the place I've invented to go when I am deeply sad, a state that’s increasingly intense, since all the dressed-up landscapes of the end begin to smell of stagnant water and rotten fruit,” wrote Katerina Anghelaki-Rooke in her poem “Lipiu.”
- True to its name and mission, the SNF Public Humanities Initiative (SNFPHI) offers a range of public events, from sci-fi film screenings to collaborative creation of a zine documenting our current strange existence as if it were an alien world.
22 OCTOBER 2020Progetto Quid, Sustainable Fashion with an Inclusionary Mission, Wins at Green Carpet Fashion AwardsAt the virtual ceremony for the 2020 Green Carpet Fashion Awards, introduced by Robert Downey Jr., ethical fashion brand Progetto Quid took home the Responsible Disruption Award.
- Plants take their revenge on bullies. Girls learn how to skate in the midst of war in Afghanistan. A soccer team travels from a shantytown in South Africa to the World Youth Cup in Sweden.
21 OCTOBER 2020SNF Hellenic Studies Centers in LA and British Columbia Collaborate to Highlight a Fascinating FigureEva Palmer Sikelianos lived such an extraordinary and unusual life in Greece that it’s still a subject of fascination 100 some years later.
- Let’s start with the introductions. Her name is Myrto, she comes from the Northern Aegean, and she’s somewhere between 15 and 20 years old. Myrto is one of the 70 to 80 sea turtles ARCHELON treats and rehabilitates every year.
- From afar, they might look like colorful corals, rocks, or marine plants swaying with the current. But get closer, and you’ll see that they’re not a natural part of the ocean environment, but rather human cast-offs: plastic bags, glass bottles, tangles of wire, and fishing nets.