- 31 July 2020 / SNF Heath Initiative Special Advisory Committee convenes for 20th Assembly
On Thursday, July 30, the Special Advisory Committee for the SNF Heath Initiative convened for the twentieth Assembly between representatives of the Greek state, Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) staff, and other stakeholders.
- 28 July 2020 / Sophocles Starts Conversations on Frontline Medical Work and Policing
Upcoming events from Theater of War Productions, a group known for facilitating honest conversations on difficult subjects, will use plays by Sophocles as the starting point for virtual discussions on timely topics: frontline health work in the context of a pandemic and community-police relations in the context of systemic racial injustice.
- 27 July 2020 / The Historic Buildings of Athens on Your Smartphone
Wherever you live, you’ve likely passed a building and wondered about its history.
- 23 July 2020 / Verdi, Cherubini, and Meyerbeer at the Roman Agora in Athens
In recent years, the Greek National Opera (GNO) has consistently wowed audiences with its varied repertoire, rich productions, and standout artists. Its first live show following Greece’s lockdown continued this trajectory.
- 21 July 2020 / Llama Magic and Molecular Lego in Rockefeller University’s COVID Research
It’s a three-body problem: sourcing nanobodies from antibodies from llama bodies.
- 20 July 2020 / A Strike Against the Pandemic and Fun to spare at Special Olympics Hellas Bowling Tournament
Three teams from three different islands recently came together to compete in a joint bowling match—remotely. Through the first online bowling exhibition match organized by Special Olympics Hellas, broadcast live, the athletes shared in the joy of participation, competition, and sport.
- 20 July 2020 / New Yorkers Check Out Their Newest Library, and Its Books
Last week, New Yorkers were able to enjoy New York Public Library’s brand new central circulating branch in Manhattan, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library (SNFL), for the first time.
- 18 July 2020 / SNF Continues Pandemic Relief Efforts with New Grants Totaling over $2.75 Million
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) has announced a new round of grants in its $100 million global relief initiative to help alleviate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. This third round brings the total allocated to $61.5 million and places particular emphasis on supporting expert organizations working collaboratively to address challenges tied to the pandemic’s socioeconomic impact.
- 18 July 2020 / The National Herald Launches Archive Chronicling a Century of Greek-American Life
Since 1915, The National Herald has both captured and been a part of the rich and varied life of Greek-American communities.