- 30 September 2013 / Antonis C. Samaras, Prime Minister of the Hellenic Republic delivered a Special Fall Edition of the Annual SNF Lecture at the PIIE on The New Greece: a Stability Asset in the Eastern Mediterranean
The Prime Minister discussed Greece’s great progress towards fiscal health, its important role as a stable democracy in a rapidly destabilizing Mediterranean region, new important strategic partnerships with Israel and Cyprus to develop critical oil and gas fields in the region, the need to address high unemployment rates, as well as recent important domestic political developments and efforts to effectively contain political extremism.
- 26 September 2013 / 31st “Spartathlon 2013” ultramarathon and Extension of the Silver Spyros Louis Cup exhibition at the Acropolis Museum
The international “Spartathlon” ultra-distance race will take place on September 27th and September 28th, in honor of the Athenian runner Pheidippides, who covered the 246 Km journey from Athens to Sparta in just one day. A total of 333 athletes from 35 countries, including 45 from Greece, will take part in this year’s race.
- 24 September 2013 / $1 Million Endowment to Universite de Montreal Establishes Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship
Grant rounds-up year-long commitment celebrating70 years of Canada-Greece relations. The Stavros Niarchos Foundation and the Universite de Montreal today announced the establishment of the SNF Scholarships with a $1 million endowment fund. Qualified Greek citizens and residents will be able to pursue their research studies at the graduate level at the University.
- 17 September 2013 / Inauguration of the Renovated Wing of the Center of Rehabilitation and Recovery of Disabled Children in Karditsa
On Tuesday, September 10th the renovated wing at the Center of Rehabilitation and Recovery of Disabled Children in Karditsa was inaugurated.
- 16 September 2013 / The International Foundation For Greece Honors the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
On September 16, 2013, The International Foundation for Greece (IFG) honored the Stavros Niarchos Foundation by presenting it with an IFG Award in the area of philanthropy, recognizing the Foundation’s efforts and contributions towards providing support in Greece during the socioeconomic crisis.
- 12 September 2013 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation delivers the “Municipal Sports and Leisure Park” to the Municipality of Kallithea
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the completion of the construction of the “Municipal Sports and Leisure Park” in Kallithea and its official hand over to the Municipality, in line with the relevant grant, approved in March 2010.
- 11 September 2013 / A new grant by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation opens the doors of nursery schools, kindergartens and day-care centers to 3,555 children across the country
The Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, in response to recent and continuous calls from the public seeking help in order to give the opportunity to 3,555 children across Greece to enroll in nursery schools, kindergartens, day-care and creative learning centers, during the 2013-2014 academic year, approved a new grant, totaling €4.5 million. The grant will enable 3,555 children, who are not covered by the recent initiative by the Ministry of the Interior and the Hellenic Agency for Local Development and Local Government, to enroll in the country’s nursery schools and day-care centers, providing working parents, many of whom are suffering the consequences of the crisis, with a much-needed break.
- 05 September 2013 / In response to articles in the Press regarding nursery schools and childcare centers
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is deeply aware of the significant and unique difficulties faced by Greek society on account of the ongoing and acute economic crisis. In view of this, as part of its broader philanthropic action, and especially through its initiative to commit €100 million in additional aid to address the effects of the crisis, it continues to evaluate several programs, on a daily basis, with the aim of helping provide relief for those most affected by the adverse socioeconomic conditions that prevail today, as well as contributing to the creation of a better future.
- 26 August 2013 / Kathimerini – Andreas Dracopoulos: Greece can be rebuilt
Andreas Dracopoulos, Co-President of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF), spoke to Kathimerini about the Starvros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center and the SNF’s philanthropic activities. Moreover Mr. Dracopoulos referred to the role of philanthropy within a social welfare society and the need for collaboration between the public, private and third sectors.