- 10 February 2014 / Ethnos: In this cultural construction site the new Athens is being “born”
Yiannis Trohopoulos, Managing Director of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, and Elly Andriopoulou, Chief Operating Officer of SNFCC, take “Ethnos” on a tour of the SNFCC construction site and talk about the progress of the construction works and the anticipation for this ambitious endeavor.
- 28 January 2014 / WWF Hellas and Boroume Join Forces Against Food Waste
On January 25th and January 26th, two of the SNF’s grantees, WWF Hellas and Boroume, joined forces in organizing the Festival Against Food Waste. The Festival took place as part of the program Better Life, which is supported exclusively by the SNF. The goal of the festival was to highlight the many aspects of food waste and engage the public through offering suggestions, solutions and tips for using leftover food. Food waste is an important issue on a global level. Each year a European citizen wastes 179 kilos of food, effectively throwing away 590€ per household. Increasing public awareness concerning the important issue of food waste is key to changing patterns and attitudes which has multiple benefits for the society, the environment and the budget of every household.
- 24 January 2014 / Groundbreaking celebration for the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art
On January 27, the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art will celebrate the groundbreaking of its new facilities at Christie’s in London.
- 22 January 2014 / Kathimerini: An exemplary initiative at the Border Island of Kastelorizo
The newspaper Kathimerini reports on the first visit of the Mobile Medical Units in the border island of Kastellorizo, which with the support of the SNF within the next five years will visit border islands and remote areas throughout Greece.
- 22 January 2014 / The SNF on the Foundation Center’s “Funder’s Forum”
The latest issue of the Foundation Center’s E-Newsletter features an interview with Mr. Andreas C. Dracopoulos, co-President of the SNF’s Board of Directors, on the Foundation’s grant making activities.
- 20 January 2014 / The Journey to the SNFCC continues in Halandri, Keratsini-Drapetsona and Ilioupoli
Following the very successful events that took place in the Municipal Library of Haidari, the National Library of Greece (NLG) and the Central Library of the Municipality of Athens, the “Journey to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center” continues, and invites the public to discover the project that aspires to change the citizens’ everyday lives, in just a few years’ time.
- 20 January 2014 / Future Library featured on “Stin Praxi”
The show Stin Praxi (In action), broadcasted by SKAI TV, on January 19, 2014 presented Future Library, which was established with the initiative and exclusive support of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. The objective of Future Library is to enhance the country’s network of public and municipal libraries and to ultimately connect them with the National Library of Greece, once the latter moves to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, the SNF’s largest grant.
- 16 January 2014 / The Mobile Medical Units Travel to Kastellorizo on January 17th
The state-of-the-art Mobile Medical Units, supported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation and which were inaugurated last week by the Olympic Village Polyclinic, begin their journey from the island of Kastelorizo. On January 17th a team of 26 doctors and professionals will visit the island, volunteering their services to offer to the island’s residents access to comprehensive healthcare and support services completely free of charge.
- 14 January 2014 / Grants from the SNF support a series of events in Athens, Brussels, France and the U.S., on the occasion of Greece assuming the Presidency of the Council of the European Union
On the occasion of Greece assuming the Presidency of the Council of the European Union (January-June 2014), the Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation has approved a series of new grants for the implementation of various events in Athens, Brussels, France and the U.S., aimed at the country’s international promotion.