21 DECEMBER 2021Murals at Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library (SNF) welcome teens with “nutty exuberance”As a teenager, Melinda Beck spent time at the gloomy Mid-Manhattan Library, housed in a building that had once been the oldest department store in America—not a spaced designed with teens in mind. Four decades later, Beck, now a visual artist, helped transform that library into a vibrant public space that makes a special effort to welcome teenagers.
- On Monday, December 6, Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) Co-President Andreas Dracopoulos was sworn in as an Honorary Battalion Chief of the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY). The position of Honorary Battalion Chief is the highest civilian award granted by the FDNY, given in recognition of exceptional contributions an individual has made to the FDNY.
- SNF Dialogues closed 2021 with a discussion about the past and future of a society in transition globally.
- Now, kids and teens in Greece and Cyprus have a streaming platform just for them with free short films and full-length features from world cinema. The digital platform launches on December 17, a free gift for the holidays and the whole year to come.
- Continuing with its trademark artistic vibrancy and drawing inspiration from the rejuvenating power of nature, the Greek National Opera (GNO) returns with a rich artistic program for 2022, including major world premieres and collaborations with renowned artists from Greece and beyond.
- As technology springs ahead and international communication channels wither, what steps can we take to reduce the risk of any of the 13,000 nuclear weapons in the world today being used?