- 26 SEPTEMBER 2008 / Starting of the 26th ultra-marathon
The 26th historic long-distance race of 246 klm -from Athens to Sparta- has just started and Stavros Niarchos Foundation is its supporter, for the 5th consecutive year.
- 17 SEPTEMBER 2008 / Opening of the European Rowing Championship at the Olympic Centre of Marathon, Greece
The European Rowing Championship, taking place in Greece for 2008, will open on September 18, at the most modern and highly standardized facilities of Schinias, Marathon. The Championship will last for three days (September 19-21) with the participation of more than 600 athletes, from 42 countries.
- 18 JULY 2008 / Informative visit of members of the SNF Board of Directors together with Renzo Piano to the Prime Minister of Greece regarding the progress of the SNFCC
On Friday, July 18th the Prime Minister of Greece, Costas Karamanlis met with members of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Board of Directors: Andreas Dracopoulos, Philip Niarchos, Spyros Niarchos and the Project’s architect Renzo Piano who, along with his partner- Giorgio Bianchi (Renzo Piano Βuilding Workshop, www.rpbw.com) has undertaken the design of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC), at the Faliron Delta area.
- 30 JUNE 2008 / A Stavros Niarchos Foundation's event to communicate its contribution in Social Welfare and Health/Medicine
During its 12 years of grantmaking, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation has been actively involved in the Social Welfare and Health & Medicine sectors, implementing various grants, in organizations in Greece and abroad. These two sectors today, are the focus of almost half of the Foundation’s total grantmaking.
- 20 JUNE 2008 / Dennis Weatherstone dies at 77
It is with great sadness that our Board announces the passing away of its Chairman, Dennis Weatherstone on June 13, 2008.
- 28 MAY 2008 / Stavros Niarchos Foundation featured in book on European Philanthropy
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is profiled in the recently published book, Philanthropy in Europe: A Rich Past, a Promising Future. This book examines the philanthropic sector in Europe.
- 14 APRIL 2008 / President of Yale University Coming to Greece
Athens (April 14 2008) – Dr. Richard C. Levin, President of Yale University, will visit Greece for the first time and will speak to public audiences in Athens and Thessaloniki as part of the “Great Ideas” series on May 6 and 7.
- 10 APRIL 2008 / Athens Award for the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
On April 10, 2008 the Municipality of Athens hosted the annual ceremony for the Athens’ Award -named after the city it serves. The award is granted to people or organizations that support Greek education and culture.
- 06 APRIL 2008 / APOLLO Αward 2007
The Board of Directors of the Association of the Friends of the Greek National Opera has given the APOLLO Αward for 2007 to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation for its outstanding contribution to the Greek National Opera and the art of Lyric Theater.