- 03 SEPTEMBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation approves a grant of €10 million ($12,4 million) to help support children’s programs and services
As part of its €100 million initiative, over the next three years, which aims to help ease the adverse effects of the current socioeconomic crisis in Greece, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces 3 new grants totaling €10 million, to help support those children and their families that are mostly impacted by the crisis. Since the beginning of 2012, the Foundation has already committed grants totaling €41 million as part of this initiative, and continues to evaluate additional programs on a daily basis.
- 27 AUGUST 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the opening of the exhibition of Spyros Louis’s Silver Cup at the Acropolis Museum
Four months after acquiring in auction Spyros Louis’s Silver Cup, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation fulfills its commitment to make the Cup available to the general public by announcing its exhibition at the new Acropolis Museum. The exhibit will open on August 28th, 2012 and will run for one year.
- 09 AUGUST 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation with the approval of a grant to the Hellenic Police supports the purchase of 3,000 protection vests
The use of the protection vests will provide police officers performing their duty with added protection.
- 31 JULY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the approval of eighteen new grants, the sixth installment in the ongoing €100 ($130) million initiative to assist against the continuing crisis in Greece
On July 31st, 2012, eight months after the first announcement of the Foundation’s intention to commit significant funds to help battle the dire social consequences of the economic crisis, its Board of Directors has moved forward with the approval of eighteen additional new grants totaling €8,636,000 ($ 10,636,098). The grants are part of the three year €100 ($130) million effort to provide Greek society with as much relief as possible.
- 18 JULY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation fulfills its commitment to make Breal’s Silver Cup, presented to Spyros Louis, accessible to the general public
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation has the pleasure of announcing that, from September 2012 and for a one-year period, the Breal’s Silver Cup will be exhibited at the new Acropolis Museum, where thousands of visitors from all over the world, as well as the numerous students that visit the Museum every day, will have the opportunity to see the historic Cup up close, and learn about its history and symbolism. The exhibit will include audio visual and printed informational material on the Cup, to help enhance the visitors’ experience and understanding.
- 09 JULY 2012 / Conference on the role of foundations during the current crisis
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation in collaboration with the European Foundation Centre (EFC) organized a conference in Athens on 5 - 6 July 2012 to discuss the role of foundations during the current European socio-economic crisis.
- 04 JULY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation proceeds with the approval of a fifth round of grants as part of its ongoing $130 (€100) initiative
On July 4th, 2012, the Foundation’s Board of Directors continued its efforts to assist those most affected by the continuing socioeconomic crisis in Greece by approving sixteen new grants in the total amount of €2,639,500 ($ 3,349,789), as part of the three year $130 (€100) million initiative.
- 27 JUNE 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation honors the Greek National Football Team, with grants totaling €1,250,000 to philanthropic organizations in Greece
The Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, in recognition of the fighting spirit and the superb collective efforts of the Greek National Football Team in the European Cup in Poland and the Ukraine, approved yesterday a €1,250,000 grant in honor of the entire team, including its coaches.
- 07 JUNE 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is named 2012 Athenagoras Human Rights Award recipient
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) is honored to be named recipient of the 2012 Athenagoras Human Rights Award, by the Order of Saint Andrew the Apostle, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America. The SNF’s Co-President, Andreas Dracopoulos, will accept the award in a ceremony to be held in October.