- 05 DECEMBER 2012 / New grants from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
In the course of its meeting this autumn, the Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation approved a series of new grants, which express its intention to continue to respond in a targeted and efficient manner to the multiple and constant challenges faced by contemporary societies, both on a national and a global level.
- 09 NOVEMBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation grants $750,000 to assist NYC boroughs devastated by Superstorm Sandy
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announced today that it will grant $750,000 to assist a variety of relief and aid operations in those areas of New York City that have been devastated the most by Superstorm Sandy. The funds will be directed to support local communities throughout Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
- 07 NOVEMBER 2012 / $1 Million Commitment by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Celebrates 70 Years of Canada-Greece Relations
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation and the University of Ottawa are proud to announce the establishment of the SNF Scholarships at uOttawa with a $1 million endowment fund. The announcement of their substantial gift marks the celebration of a 70-year partnership between Canada and Greece.The SNF Scholarships will give two Greek graduate students per year the opportunity to pursue their studies at the University of Ottawa, and contribute to building the foundation for future collaboration between Canada and Greece.
- 26 OCTOBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation receives the Athenagoras Human Rights Award from The Order of Saint Andrew, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America
On October 20th, 2012, the Order of Saint Andrew presented the Stavros Niarchos Foundation with the 2012 Athenagoras Human Rights Award. The organization honored at their annual banquet the Foundation’s Co-President, Andreas Dracopoulos, who received the award on behalf of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.
- 24 OCTOBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation receives New York Downtown Hospital’s first Global Philanthropy Award
On October 11th, 2012, the New York Downtown Hospital (NYDH) honored the Stavros Niarchos Foundation by awarding it the hospital’s first Global Philanthropy Award. The Foundation’s Co-President, Andreas Dracopoulos, received the award on behalf of the SNF at a ceremony during NYDH’s 19th Annual Gala.
- 24 OCTOBER 2012 / Not for profit organization “Metavallon” launches again its annual youth entrepreneurship program, through a grant by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Driven by its faith in the productive potential of Greece, and the importance of youth entrepreneurship in creating new economic activity throughout the country, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (www.SNF.org) is funding, through a grant, the not for profit organization “Metavallon”. The organization’s activities are aimed at supporting young Greek entrepreneurs and providing all means necessary for them to develop and establish their venture in the current economic environment.
- 22 OCTOBER 2012 / Four Freedoms Park, Designed by Legendary Architect Louis Kahn, is supported by a major grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Four Freedoms Park was conceived of and designed four decades ago as a memorial to former U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his famous “Four Freedoms” speech. The island in New York City on which the four-acre park is located was renamed Roosevelt Island in his honor in 1973, but the city was then on the verge of bankruptcy, and plans for the Park were put on hold.
- 19 OCTOBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation continues its efforts to support those most in need at a time of great social and economic distress through the approval of 13 new grants
On October 19th, 2012, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation’s Board of Directors approved during its fall meeting 13 additional new grants totaling €4,309,000 ($ 5,630,570). The grants are the seventh installment of the continuing three year €100 ($130) million effort to provide Greek society with as much relief as possible.
- 15 OCTOBER 2012 / Inauguration of the Culture Workshop by the “Network for Children’s Rights”, through a grant by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Taking into account the contemporary needs of the new generation for creative education and cultural awakening, which will function as a launching pad for a better future, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation decided to support the “Culture Workshop”, which was created by the “Network for Children’s Rights” and will be inaugurated on the 19th of October 2012, in the center of Athens.