- 19 OCTOBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation continues its efforts to support those most in need at a time of great social and economic distress through the approval of 13 new grants
On October 19th, 2012, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation’s Board of Directors approved during its fall meeting 13 additional new grants totaling €4,309,000 ($ 5,630,570). The grants are the seventh installment of the continuing three year €100 ($130) million effort to provide Greek society with as much relief as possible.
- 15 OCTOBER 2012 / Inauguration of the Culture Workshop by the “Network for Children’s Rights”, through a grant by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Taking into account the contemporary needs of the new generation for creative education and cultural awakening, which will function as a launching pad for a better future, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation decided to support the “Culture Workshop”, which was created by the “Network for Children’s Rights” and will be inaugurated on the 19th of October 2012, in the center of Athens.
- 11 OCTOBER 2012 / Romare Bearden’s “A Black Odyssey” Traveling Exhibition Debuts at Reynolda House Museum of American Art Oct. 13, with major support from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
The exhibition, “Romare Bearden: A Black Odyssey” will debut at the Reynolda House Museum of American Art in Winston-Salem, N.C. on October 12, remaining on view through Jan. 13, 2013 before embarking on a seven-city US national tour ending in New York City in 2014.
- 28 SEPTEMBER 2012 / The historical Spartathlon ultramarathon revives for yet another year
For the eighth year running, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation supports the historical Spartathlon ultramarathon, which celebrated, this year, the 30th anniversary of the first contemporary revival of the historical journey by British Philhellene John Fodden and his team.
- 28 SEPTEMBER 2012 / Construction of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center to begin in Athens
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announced today that it has selected the Impregilo-TERNA joint venture to construct the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) in Athens. Today’s announcement is a landmark in the development of the project, as the SNFCC has now entered its final stage, and construction is expected to begin in October 2012.
- 20 SEPTEMBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation honors the Greek National Football Team with grants to several nonprofits, totaling €1,250,000, for philanthropic causes in Greece
In June 2012, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Board of Directors, in recognition of the extraordinary collective efforts and fighting spirit demonstrated by the Greek National Football Team in the European Cup in Poland and the Ukraine, announced a €1,250,000 grant in its honor, in support of philanthropic causes in Greece.
- 03 SEPTEMBER 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation approves a grant of €10 million ($12,4 million) to help support children’s programs and services
As part of its €100 million initiative, over the next three years, which aims to help ease the adverse effects of the current socioeconomic crisis in Greece, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces 3 new grants totaling €10 million, to help support those children and their families that are mostly impacted by the crisis. Since the beginning of 2012, the Foundation has already committed grants totaling €41 million as part of this initiative, and continues to evaluate additional programs on a daily basis.
- 27 AUGUST 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the opening of the exhibition of Spyros Louis’s Silver Cup at the Acropolis Museum
Four months after acquiring in auction Spyros Louis’s Silver Cup, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation fulfills its commitment to make the Cup available to the general public by announcing its exhibition at the new Acropolis Museum. The exhibit will open on August 28th, 2012 and will run for one year.
- 09 AUGUST 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation with the approval of a grant to the Hellenic Police supports the purchase of 3,000 protection vests
The use of the protection vests will provide police officers performing their duty with added protection.