- On Monday, October 16th, the World Monuments Fund (WMF) hosted their annual Hadrian Gala in New York City. The evening honored Deborah Lehr with the 2017 Hadrian Award, in recognition of her work with the Antiquities Coalition, and for her commitment to safeguarding and preserving antiquities under threat from conflict, extremism, and looting, particularly in the Middle East. Frank Stella also received the 2017 Watch Award, to acknowledge his activism, which helped save the A. Conger Goodyear House, a modern landmark, from demolition.
- “Unified Sports”, a three-day international event hosted by the Special Olympics International (SOI), began on Friday, October 13th, in Rome, Italy, under the auspices of His Holiness, the Pope. The event was attended by Special Olympics athletes and representatives, and supporters of SOI, including a representative from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. The SNF has an ongoing collaboration with Special Olympics International.
- Andreas Dracopoulos, Co-President of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, was interviewed by Pillars magazine, a publication of the University of Pennsylvania, which examines the impact of leadership philanthropy on their institution.
- The SNF is launching a monthly series of live events under the title SNF Dialogues, featuring thought and action provoking discussions that will bring together, among others, experts and established leaders from different fields and backgrounds, representatives from the civil society, individuals who inspire with their work and vision.
16 OCTOBER 2017The architectural magazine Domes features the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural CenterAn editorial tribute to the different perspectives of Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) that manifests Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) continuous commitment to Greece and its future. Domes, a magazine focusing on architectural design, is hosting architectural pieces from junior to senior talented architects, from all over the world.
- The Institute of Preventive Medicine, Environmental & Occupational Health (Prolepsis) implements for the seventh consecutive school year the Food Aid & Promotion of Healthy Nutrition Program - DIATROFI, supported by a major grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF), in public schools located in socio economically vulnerable areas.
16 OCTOBER 2017The international symposium on “Life and climate from Hesiod to Montesquieu ” in France, with the SNF’s supportOn October 13th and 14th, the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres organized the international symposium under the theme “Life and climate from Hesiod to Montesquieu” at the ancient Greek dwelling Villa Kérylos in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France.
13 OCTOBER 2017A $5 million gift by the SNF to create the UCLA Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for the Study of Hellenic CultureA $5 million gift from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) will enable UCLA to create the UCLA Stavros Niarchos Foundation Center for the Study of Hellenic Culture. The center, which will be housed in the UCLA College, will build on the university’s strengths in Hellenic studies and support research across disciplines ranging from archaeology and classics to languages and digital humanities.
- The Stavros Niarchos Foundation supports the series “My Greek Table with Diane Kochilas” which will begin airing on Public Television in October of 2017.