- 07 JUNE 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is named 2012 Athenagoras Human Rights Award recipient
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) is honored to be named recipient of the 2012 Athenagoras Human Rights Award, by the Order of Saint Andrew the Apostle, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America. The SNF’s Co-President, Andreas Dracopoulos, will accept the award in a ceremony to be held in October.
- 31 MAY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center names its first CEO and Managing Director
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announced today that Ioannis Trohopoulos, a leading expert on libraries and previously Director of the Veria Central Public Library in Northern Greece, has been appointed the first CEO and Managing Director of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center (SNFCC) A.E. Mr. Trohopoulos will assume the directorship on June 1, 2012.
- 29 MAY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces the fourth round of support as part of its $130 (€100) million initiative
On May 29, 2012, with all economic and social indicators pointing towards an unabated and worsening crisis in Greece, the Foundation’s Board of Directors stepped up its efforts to offer assistance by approving a new round of twelve grants totaling €3,169,000 ($4,207,000) as part of its three year $130 (€100) million initiative.
- 23 MAY 2012 / The New York Times: Wealthy Greeks in a time of crisis
An article in The New York Times on the attitude of wealthy Greeks during the socioeconomic crisis, which includes comments by SNF co-president Andreas Dracopoulos.
- 23 MAY 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation’s new grants
The Board of Directors of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, during its recent meeting, approved a new series of grants for the Spring-Summer 2012 season. The grants are based on the Foundation’s philosophy, to provide relief for society’s most vulnerable and to create better conditions for the future, to the extent of our abilities, by supporting and promoting Education, Social Welfare, Health & Medicine and Arts & Culture.
- 18 MAY 2012 / Jean-Claude Trichet discusses the European crisis at Peterson Institute's Stavros Niarchos Foundation annual lecture
On Thursday, May 17th, 2012, Jean-Claude Trichet, Former President of the European Central Bank, spoke at the Peterson Institute for International Economics on the ongoing euro crisis, its consequences for the common currency and the EU as a whole, and on possible structural and fiscal reforms to address the challenges.
- 20 APRIL 2012 / Royal re-opening of the Cutty Sark on Wednesday, 25 April, 2012
The Royal re-opening of the Cutty Sark will take place on Wednesday, 25 April, 2012 in Greenwich. The Cutty Sark, the sole surviving tea clipper, launched in 1869, is a world icon of the great age of commerce, legendary for her speed and admired for her beautiful lines. Since 1953 the ship is preserved as a museum ship in Greenwich.
- 19 APRIL 2012 / The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announces a new round of grants, as part of its $130 (€100) million initiative
On April 19, 2012, the Foundation’s Board of Directors approved the commitment of a new series of grants totaling €10.2 ($13.5) million, as part of its three year $130 (€100) million initiative to assist those in need during the socioeconomic crisis in Greece.
- 18 APRIL 2012 / Historic Breal’s Silver Cup, Marathon Winner’s Cup from the First Modern Olympics, acquired at Christie’s Auction by The Stavros Niarchos Foundation
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation announced today that it has acquired Breal’s Silver Cup, the first Marathon Winner’s Cup presented to Spyros Louis at the inaugural Modern Olympic Games in Athens in 1896, in a heated auction held at Christie’s South Kensington. The cup will be shared with the Greek people by being permanently displayed for public view at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center upon its completion in 2015. In the interim, the Foundation will work to find a suitable and temporary location for display.