- 15 December 2020 / Sowing the Seeds of a Better Future for Bean Producers in Prespes
Every year, in early fall, before the beans ripen and their pods turn a pale yellow, growers in Prespes begin harvesting them. The bean-growing season was quite different there this year, not only because the weather delayed completion of the harvest until November, but even more because of innovations in the growing process.
- 10 December 2020 / Digital Town Hall Meetings by SNF for New Hospitals in Komotini, Thessaloniki and Sparta as part of the Health Initiative
As part of its Health Initiative, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) organized a series of online town hall meetings on Thursday, December 10th with the local communities of Komotini, Thessaloniki and Sparta. With the public’s participation, the events reviewed the progress of the projects to create the new SNF General Hospital of Komotini, the SNF University Pediatric Hospital of Thessaloniki, and the new SNF General Hospital of Sparta, which are designed, and will be constructed and fully outfitted, through grants from SNF.
- 10 December 2020 / Program Employing Street Vendors to Meet Food Needs Expands with Support from SNF
A successful program from the Urban Justice Center’s Street Vendor Project got 26 New York City street vendors back to work preparing nearly 8,000 meals to distribute in their communities. Now, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF), which supported this program, has made a new grant to help expand it.
- 10 December 2020 / The Shed Announces New Commissions from 27 Artists through Open Call
The Shed, which opened last year to bring together creators from every artistic discipline in a cultural institution accessible to all audiences, has announced the 27 New York City artists selected for the second round of its Open Call program.
- 08 December 2020 / “Making Democracy Work,” a Conversation on Leadership Featuring SNF Co-President Andreas Dracopoulos
SNF Co-President Andreas Dracopoulos joined Johns Hopkins University President Ron Daniels, Africa50 COO Carole Wainaina, investor and entrepreneur Alejandro Santo Domingo, and engineer and board professional Ulla-Britt Fräjdin-Hellqvist in an event organized by the Tällberg Foundation to discuss the role of leadership in preserving democracy.
- 08 December 2020 / A Holiday Getaway to the Village of Vamvakou, No Travel Required
The holiday season may be different this year, but that’s no reason not to celebrate it—especially when you can do so without changing out of your slippers. Vamvakou Revival brought the festive atmosphere of the cozy Greek mountain village of Vamvakou to everyone!
- 08 December 2020 / The Mobile Medical Units Through the Eyes of Medical Students
For the past seven years, the Mobile Medical Units (MMUs) have traveled with a team of doctors and nurses to every corner of Greece, offering free medical services to residents of remote islands and regions.
- 03 December 2020 / An Innovative Collaboration Reimagines and Reactivates Public Space for a New Era, from New York to Athens
The collaboration between the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts aims to bring new approaches in cultural engagement to public spaces in COVID era and beyond.
- 03 December 2020 / New Study Abroad Scholarships for Greek High Schoolers
High schoolers from Greece can now apply to study abroad in one of 18 destinations across Europe, Asia, North America, and Central and South America through AFS Intercultural Programs.