DIALOGUES: Astronomy - November 27, 2018 at 17:30 (EET)
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) organizes the 12th event of its monthly DIALOGUES series, which will focus on “Astronomy.” The event taking place in November marks the completion of the series’ first year since its establishment. In their new phase, the DIALOGUES series will travel, near of far. The events taking place as part of the DIALOGUES series are usually scheduled for the last Wednesday of every month. As an exception, the event for November will take place on Tuesday, November 27th at 17:30. First stop of the travelling Dialogues is the Planetarium of the Eugenides Foundation for a discussion under the stars.
How often do you we find ourselves wishing on a star? Where is this star heading? How many times have we wondered where the universe ends and where it begins? Are we alone in this cluster of planets, asteroids and solar systems? This November, we take our seat in front of a telescope and discuss these questions and more with experts, scientists and amateur astronomers. Renowned speakers will “guide” us through the universe, raising questions that concern all mankind.
Speakers will include among others:
- Fiori-Anastasia Metallinou – Astrophysicist at the National Observatory of Athens and Soloist
- Xenophon Mousas - a Professor of Space Physics at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Head of the Antikythera Mechanism Research Project
- Konstantinos Tassis - Coordinator of PASIPHAE (Polar-Area Stellar-Imaging in Polarization High-Accuracy Experiment) / Associate Professor of Astrophysics, University of Crete
- Vasiliki Pavlidou - Coordinator of PHAESTOS (Probing High-Energy Astrophysics Environments and Systems Through Optopolarimetric Surveys) Associate Professor, Department of Physics, University of Crete
- Konstantinos Emmanouilidis - Amateur Astronomer and Supernova Chaser
The discussion will be moderated by journalist, Anna Kynthia Bousdoukou.