A major grant from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) supported the Greek National Gallery – Alexandros Soutsos Museum in Athens in more than doubling its exhibition space through a significant renovation and expansion.
Through a €13 million ($14.16 million) grant, SNF supported the completion of the renovation and expansion of the National Gallery. The expansion of the National Gallery’s exhibition areas allows more than 1,000 works from its rich collections to be displayed, compared with 400 pieces in the old facilities. As part of the SNF grant, Building B, which hosts the National Gallery’s permanent collections, has been renamed the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Wing.
The renovations and construction transform the new National Gallery into a modern, functional, and attractive museum. The additional exhibition areas allow the National Gallery to showcase more of the important works from its permanent collection of 20,000 pieces, and to develop greater flexibility for more nuanced museological management and curation. At the same time, the new venues, such as the amphitheater, the education program hall, the new gallery shop, and the two café-restaurants, as well as digital applications, allow the National Gallery to embrace a wider educational and social role.
The SNF grant to the National Gallery covers:
• The addition of a third floor to Building B, which houses the museum’s Administrative Services, Conservation Labs, Library, and a third-floor restaurant with panoramic views, in addition to its permanent collections.
• The completion of all floors of Building B and the construction of circulation ramps on the front of Building B for pedestrian access to all floors, so that visitors who choose to ascend via the ramps may enjoy the view of the city.
• The construction of all lifts in Building B, as well as a spiral glass façade for the stairwell of Building C.
Watch the press conference from July 2017.
# # #
Other SNF grants to the National Gallery have supported:
- The organization of the Techni Group, 100 Years commemorative exhibition at the Byzantine Museum (2017)
- Building studies for the renovation of historic buildings in Goudi Army Park to serve as the National Sculpture Gallery and the implementation of a museological study for the presentation of the sculptures (2003, 2005)
- The organization of the Imperial Treasures from China exhibition (2004)
- The organization of the From El Greco to Delacroix. The National Gallery of Athens Collections exhibition at the Fondation de l’ Hermitage in Switzerland (2002)
- The re-exhibition of the National Gallery permanent collection at the Vasilissis Sofias building, the creation and outfitting of a film room and gallery shop, and the publication of an anniversary catalogue celebrating 100 years of the National Gallery (2000, 2001)